Cruising Outpost

Discussing The Cruising Lifestyle
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Good Boat Recipes
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:22 pm 

I love to cook and was a professional chef for years. Here are some of my favorites that go well in a small boat galley.
Please feel free to post your favorite recipes too.

Simple comfort food that's boat friendly.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Breakfast Casserole

Here is a good one to make for breakfast. You can tweak it to what ever you like. I make it at home on Sunday mornings and we eat the leftovers during the coming week for a quick breakfast. It works great on the boat too.

Breakfast Casserole
2- packages of Hash Brown potatoes. (We have a raw hash brown package in our dairy case near the eggs that I use. I like to use the “Southwest” flavor, or what flavor you like. The plain ones are kind of bland. You can use the frozen kind also just cook a little longer or nuke in the microwave to thaw out. See below about cooking hash browns)

1- dozen eggs

1- lb sausage ( You can substitute any meat for sausage and bacon, i.e. ham, Kielbasa ECT… Again, it’s what ever you like)

1- Package bacon (12oz or 16oz)

2-3 cups shredded cheese (Your choice of flavor, I like a cheddar / Monterey Jack mix)

Salt and pepper, or any other seasoning you like.

Cut the bacon into ¼” - ½” pieces. Open the tube of sausage and place in skillet with bacon strips. Sauté bacon and sausage together, use spatula to break sausage into small pieces as it cooks. Cook until browned.

Here is another place to choose what you like. You can cook the hash browns in the meat grease for a totally unhealthy, but great tasting hash browns. Cook the hash browns in canola oil, or don’t cook them at all. You are going to bake it any way. Just make sure they are thawed out.

Combine the hash browns, sautéed meat, and ½ of the cheese in a mixing bowl tossing until cheese is mixed evenly through out the hash browns. Place mixture in baking dish.

Break 12 eggs into mixing bowl or blender. Add salt and pepper, to taste, or any other seasoning you like. Mix thoroughly.

Pour egg mixture over hash browns. Give baking dish a little shake (giggle) to make sure hash browns are covered by egg mixture. If any are left out of egg mixture they will burn during baking. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.

Bake in a 350 degree oven until a knife, fork, or tooth pick comes out clean (dry) and golden brown. Let cool a little and serve. Cut leftovers into squares for later. Store in zip lock bags or Tupperware like dish. Great heated in microwave later.

Enjoy
Dan

Last edited by S/V Escape Hatch on Thu May 30, 2013 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Good Boat Recipes
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:03 pm 

Banana Bread

3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar (can use half brown sugar/half honey)
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cup of flour
No need for a mixer for this recipe. Preheat the oven to 350°F. With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, mix. Pour mixture into a buttered (PAM cooking spray) 4x8 inch loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.

I like to do them in a muffin tin (I use those new silicone baking pans, they work great) it makes them more boat friendly to eat.

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:17 pm 

Here's another boat freindly one.

7 Layer Taco Dip

INGREDIENTS:
1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
1 large tomato, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 bunch chopped green onions
1 small head iceberg lettuce, shredded
1 (6 ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
In a medium bowl, blend the taco seasoning mix and refried beans. Spread the mixture onto a large serving platter.
Mix the sour cream and cream cheese in a medium bowl. Spread over the refried beans.
Top the layers with salsa. Place a layer of tomato, green bell pepper, green onions and lettuce over the salsa, and top with Cheddar cheese. Garnish with black olives.

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:27 pm 

Spinach Dip

1 package of frozen Chopped Spinach
1 Package (1 envelope) of lipton vegtable soup mix
1/2 cup Mayonaise
1/2 cup sour cream
-------------------------------------------------------------

Thaw spinach, then squez out all of the water/juice using a towel or cloth. Mix all ingredients and let sit over night. Serve with chips or crackers of choice

Last edited by S/V Escape Hatch on Fri May 31, 2013 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:28 pm 

Shrimp & Grits

2 lbs peeled Shrimp (I like them to be deveined and have the tails removed.)
1 lb bacon
1 BFO (think very large onion; as in Big F@#$ing Onion)
Pepper(s), bell or fresh Jalapenos
Milk (whole, half & half or caned)
Flour or corn starch
1 cup uncooked quick grits
Salt & pepper
About 1 cup Shredded cheddar cheese
1 Lemon or lime wedge (optional

Prep: peel, devein, and de-tail shrimp. Chop onion and pepper into small pieces. Cut Bacon across stripes into1/2 inch pieces.

Grits: Cook grits as per package instructions. To this add some milk, salt and pepper, butter /margarine, and cheese. You might not use all the cheese. Do not over salt and pepper it while cooking. You can always add some later. (Do not add sugar to grits.) Keep the grits wet; they tend to form a paste like substance resembling wall spackling. You do this by adding water or milk and reducing heat or removing from heat.

Shrimp: Sauté Bacon, onion & peppers until almost done. Add shrimp. Squeeze lemon or lime wedge (optional). It only takes a couple minuets for the shrimp to cook. Drain off grease into a separate bowl. Add 1-2 cup milk or one can of milk. Remember that caned milk is condensed so add a little water. Bring this to a boil. DO NOT OVER COOK SHRIMP. Thicken by adding either some flour Rue made from a couple spoons of bacon grease, or a corn starch thickening agent.

Spoon grits into a serving bowl. Add shrimp mixture. Serve immediately, Sit back and enjoy.

If you live where you can’t get grits, then you need to move.
E-mail me and I’ll send you some.

Enjoy
Dan

Last edited by S/V Escape Hatch on Fri May 31, 2013 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:35 am 

Pasta with Clams

This is another super easy one. The left overs are great too, The flavors permeate thru it.

Pasta with Clams

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic - crushed
2 pinches chili flakes
1 teaspoon chopped parsley
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 cans chopped tomatoes
3 lb clams - scrubbed clean, (can use canned chopped or minced clams)
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
14 oz spaghetti or linguine
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
lemon wedges

Cook the pasta until tender. Meanwhile, heat oil in large frying pan, add garlic and chili and cook over a low heat for 30 seconds. Add parsley, wine and tomatoes. Increase the heat and boil, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes until liquid is reduced by half. Add clams and cover pan. Increase heat and cook for 5 minutes until clams open, shaking pan often. Toss the drained Spaghetti calm mixture. Garnish with lemon zest and wedges.

Enjoy
Dan

Last edited by S/V Escape Hatch on Fri May 31, 2013 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:39 am 

Fettuccine Alfredo

5 tablespoons butter
2 cups heavy cream (can use evaporated milk)
2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
3 tablespoons minced garlic
1/2 cup diced onions
1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with small amount water
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
salt & fresh ground pepper
3/4 cup fresh shredded Parmesan cheese

Melt butter in large saute pan.
Add garlic and saute until brown.
Add broth and cream and reduce for several minutes.
Slowly add the cornstarch/water mixture stirring until the sauce begins to thicken slightly.
Do not over thicken as the Parmesan cheese will also act as a thickener.
Add the Parmesan cheese, parsley, and salt & pepper.
Taste test and add more seasoning if needed.
Combine with fettuccine noodles and toss.
Serve immediately.

Throw some grilled chix breast cut into cubes, and/or fresh steamed or grilled sliced vegetables in also for a well balanced dish.

Last edited by S/V Escape Hatch on Fri May 31, 2013 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:11 pm 

S/V Magic Carpet wrote:
I love to cook and was a professional chef for years. Here are some of my favorites that go well in a small boat galley.
Please feel free to post your favorite recipes too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Breakfast Casserole

Here is a good one to make for breakfast. You can tweak it to what ever you like. I make it at home on Sunday mornings and we eat the leftovers during the coming week for a quick breakfast. It works great on the boat too.

Breakfast Casserole
2- packages of Hash Brown potatoes. (We have a raw hash brown package in our dairy case near the eggs that I use. I like to use the “Southwest” flavor, or what flavor you like. The plain ones are kind of bland. You can use the frozen kind also just cook a little longer or nuke in the microwave to thaw out. See below about cooking hash browns)

1- dozen eggs

1- lb sausage ( You can substitute any meat for sausage and bacon, i.e. ham, Kielbasa ECT… Again, it’s what ever you like)

1- Package bacon (12oz or 16oz)

2-3 cups shredded cheese (Your choice of flavor, I like a cheddar / Monterey Jack mix)

Salt and pepper, or any other seasoning you like.

Cut the bacon into ¼” - ½” pieces. Open the tube of sausage and place in skillet with bacon strips. Sauté bacon and sausage together, use spatula to break sausage into small pieces as it cooks. Cook until browned.

Here is another place to choose what you like. You can cook the hash browns in the meat grease for a totally unhealthy, but great tasting hash browns. Cook the hash browns in canola oil, or don’t cook them at all. You are going to bake it any way. Just make sure they are thawed out.

Combine the hash browns, sautéed meat, and ½ of the cheese in a mixing bowl tossing until cheese is mixed evenly through out the hash browns. Place mixture in baking dish.

Break 12 eggs into mixing bowl or blender. Add salt and pepper, to taste, or any other seasoning you like. Mix thoroughly.

Pour egg mixture over hash browns. Give baking dish a little shake (giggle) to make sure hash browns are covered by egg mixture. If any are left out of egg mixture they will burn during baking. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.

Bake in a 350 degree oven until a knife, fork, or tooth pick comes out clean (dry) and golden brown. Let cool a little and serve. Cut leftovers into squares for later. Store in zip lock bags or Tupperware like dish. Great heated in microwave later.

Enjoy
Dan

I found this off the Cruising World forum several years ago. One change I made to it was using jalapeño smoked sausage and it was seriously nom nom nom. A must try.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:20 am 

Yea, that was me. S/V Mother Ocean was our boat that caught fire and burned. I had theses and many more on the Lats & Atts site before it caught fire and burned too. I'd like to somehow get them and repost them here too.

That sausage sounds killer, I'll try it.

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:06 pm 

S/V Magic Carpet wrote:
Yea, that was me. S/V Mother Ocean was our boat that caught fire and burned. I had theses and many more on the Lats & Atts site before it caught fire and burned too. I'd like to somehow get them and repost them here too.

That sausage sounds killer, I'll try it.

Dan

Whoa I’m sorry to hear that I hope all has worked out since. I don’t know what to say other than you have my permission wash this bfast casserole down with a stiff bloody mary.

On another note, your other recipes might still be on the Cruising World forums. Found the Taco casserole there also.