Cruising Outpost

Discussing The Cruising Lifestyle
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Caipirinha!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:01 am 

Caipirinha, my new fave mixed drink, is the national drink of Brazil (or so I'm told) - and excellent for preventing scurvy! It's excellent for hot days.

The word 'Caipirinha' (pronounce: first syllable 'cai' sounds sorta like 'quay' only more I than A, ending nha like nya - so the word is kinda like 'caper enya' only more I than A in caper. Also the 'r' is like Spanish 'r', almost a 'd') means 'little hick' or 'little hillbilly' in Brazilian Portuguese.
    - 1/2 lime, sliced in thin wedges
    - 2 Tablespoons or so of sugar - opinions differ on which kind, white, brown, raw, etc. - try 'em all.
    - Using a 'muddler' (for those who, like me, never went to bartending school, a muddler is like the mortar in a mortar and pestle), thoroughly crush the lime wedges and sugar together until the sugar is a paste or mostly dissolved. It won't dissolve all the way.
    - Add two to four ice cubes
    - Add a generous shot of Cachaca (any Brazilian will tell you, Cachaca is NOT rum! But it's made from sugar cane.)
    - Stir, serve.
    - While sipping it will require occasional stirring to keep the sugar suspended.

WRT Cachaca, flavors of different brands vary just like rums vary.

Post subject: Re: Caipirinha!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:35 pm 

You could substitute Pisco.

The People should never have to Fear their Government; The Government should always Fear the People

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:35 pm 

snoozer wrote:

:arrow:

No pisco , but many Braziiains like vodka, not cachaca, and it's called caipirovska. My wife likes hers with passion fruit instead of lime. I prefer the normal with lime.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:23 pm 

pipedream wrote:
snoozer wrote:

:arrow:

No pisco , but many Braziiains like vodka, not cachaca, and it's called caipirovska. My wife likes hers with passion fruit instead of lime. I prefer the normal with lime.

I really love vodka, especially with passion,,, but never really need any fruit involved. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

s/v KAYLA Cape Dory 28 #318
2012 FLSTC Softail Heritage Classic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:32 pm 

They served a pear caipirovska on the Queen Mary last year. One of the best drinks I've had in years. Tried to make it myself when we got home but it's just not the same.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:53 am 

snoozer wrote:

Pisco is made from grapes, so it would be healthier 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:17 am 

This drink seems to pop up everywhere, and each country tries to claim it as their own. The Caribbean is rife with the claims. But the first time I had one was in Palma de Mallorca but it had fresh mint ground into the sugar.

They were wonderful in Brazil, but that's a while ago so could be time to retest.

So using Wikipedia it seems the Brazilian one originated in Portugal, via Madeira at the time sugar cane planting moved from Madeira to Brazil.
No doubt the Mallorcan one is Spanish derivation and to Argentina that way, or at a similar time.

But there's a few namesakes...

There are many derivations of caipirinha in which other spirits substitute for cachaça. The most well known include:
The Caipivodka (also known as Caipiroska, Caipiroshka or Caipirovka), in which vodka substitutes for cachaça.
The Caipiroska Negra, Black Caipiroshka or Caipiblack is made with black vodka instead of cachaça.
Caipiríssima is a caipirinha made with rum instead of cachaça; the word was coined for an advertisement for a popular rum brand in the late '70s.
Caipifruta is a variation made with cachaça and other fruits instead of lime, typically found in tourist areas.
CaipirItaly is a variation from Italy. It's made using Campari instead of cachaça.[citation needed]
Sakeirinha or Caipisakê is a version made with sake.[citation needed]
Caipinheger is another variation made using Steinhäger.[citation needed]
Morangoska is a Portuguese variation made using strawberries instead of lime.[8]
Caipirão is another Portuguese variation made using Licor Beirão instead of cachaça. Beirão liquor is very sweet, so no sugar is used.[9]

From Wikipedia.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:24 am 

while you are at it make up some Coxinhas to go with your "Brasilian freight train" I first experienced in the Centro on Isle de Santa Catarina, Brasil.
Muito bem!

Quote:
Coxinha are a Brazilian treat - delicious balls of chicken salad that have been shaped into a drumstick, battered and fried. I didn't quite what to make of them the first time I tried them, but they really are an ingenious street food. They're easy to eat on the go, they're a meal unto themselves, they have a unique appearance (simulated drumstick), and most importantly, they are deep fried and delicious!
Coxinha are fun to make too, and economical. They are best if you start them the day before you fry them. If you're lucky enough to find Brazilian catupiry cheese, use it in place of the cream cheese.

http://southamericanfood.about.com/od/s ... oxinha.htm