Cruising Outpost

Discussing The Cruising Lifestyle
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:12 pm 

Stumbled upon this on another forum under discussion about requiring boat operator licenses:
"If anyone has an itch to license some human activity or other let them satisfy it by clamoring for licensing of baby births or some such.
Much more long term downside potential in that activity for the society at large than from some ignorant boaters." -- Island Time O25
:mrgreen:

s/v KAYLA Cape Dory 28 #318
2008 FXD Dyna Superglide

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:27 am 

I would have no problem with a mandatory boater safety course before operating a boat.License is just another way to fleece the peasants of money and freedom.
If someone operates a vehicle dangerously punish the OFFENDER not everyone else so a politician can feel good.I was forced to take a motorcycle test in Floriduh to get my endorsement despite the fact I had several bikes over the years and no incidents.BIL got his endorsement the same week.A couple bike wrecks,truck wrecks,boat ramp crashes :lol: and groundings :o yet he still has a license.
One of the reasons south floriduh sucks.
Imagine being a diver coming up from your DECO and some asshole is driving over you as you are trying to surface. :twisted: Diver flags on the boat and out on the water and they still cruise right through.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:46 pm 

Personally I think everyone with a driver's license ought have to pass a biennial "flight" review...
Quote:
61.56 Flight Review
(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (f) of this
section, a flight review consists of a minimum of
1 hour of flight training and 1 hour of ground
training. The review must include:
(1) A review of the current general operating and
flight rules of Part 91 of this chapter; and
(2) A review of those maneuvers and procedures
that, at the discretion of the person giving the
review, are necessary for the pilot to demon-
strate the safe exercise of the privileges of the
pilot certificate.

People get their feelings hurt in the bilge and that's bad for this kind of business so I withdrawal the above comment.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:12 am 

FAA is a fine example of out of control gubmint.Between the FAA and Insurance companies they have made general aviation miserable and very expensive.Aircraft owners joke that boaters dont know how to spend money.

https://youtu.be/Gc9SZ0ysqto

This little plane is about 40-50k depending on power and panel and you have to build it at that price.Add 10k for a PPL and TWO people and a overnight bag can go flying.Also need a hangar to keep it in. :cry:
When I was a kid my dad had a Tripacer and later a 150.We were not rich yet we were able to fly on the weekends to Immokalee for buffet at a local restaurant or just do T&Gs for a few hours.Later he got a gas hog Aztec :shock: You could hear money being sucked into the props.
The same 150 my dad had bought for around 5k is now around 20=25k depending on engine time and upgrades.Thats for a 44 yr old plane that several kids and students bounced down a runway and feels like you are in a very small go-cart that cant get out of its way.

https://youtu.be/I4PxLQcu78Y

You can get one of these under 20k.No passengers and no gubmint license YET.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:20 am 

https://youtu.be/PqhI4MeCn1c

This sexy beast cost around a million dollars!Crazy power and STOL performance numbers.Builder has lots of skills and a can do attitude that rivals the energizer bunny!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:40 am 

https://youtu.be/ghtYqXGCV54

One of the inlets I fished for Snook when I was younger.If you use a little common sense you can get through the inlet in a little 13 ft Whaler without knocking your fillings loose.If you have more money than brains the boat size wont help.
Last time we went there we could not stay past sunset because of criminal activity the county closed all the parks at sunset.
As a kid I fished there many nights till dawn or anchored by one of the Islands sleeping off the booze from bar hopping.
Boat traffic is insane there now.Jupiter Inlet is a fun one to watch on the weekend when its rough. 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:29 am 

Gotta luv all those fenders and loose lines hanging over... :shock: :shock: :shock:

s/v KAYLA Cape Dory 28 #318
2008 FXD Dyna Superglide