Cruising Outpost

Discussing The Cruising Lifestyle
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Deliveries
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:40 am 

I wanted to start this topic to see if there was a need for a central location to find delivery help - either crew or captain. AND, more importantly, to see if there is anything coming up that I could help out with.

Bored, retired, and getting colder and colder....

Post subject: Re: Deliveries
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:20 am 

If you have viewed by post, and are interested let me know.

Dick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:04 pm 

There's a couple sites I watch. I'll throw my name in the hat here too of people available for deliveries.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:18 am 

There are lots of places that offer crew and that allow you to volunteer crew.

You have to be something pretty spiffy to get paid as crew, or even to get transportation costs covered. In my opinion if you're paying for you own food and even a share of boat costs you aren't crew anymore (don't tell C&I) but friends or passengers.

Of my own list of 200 or so crew there is ONE that I can get paid, sometimes.

These are the crewing services I have used in the last few years:
Offshore Passage Opportunities
Find a Crew
CrewSeekers
CrewBay
7 Knots

Since I became an OPO pro skipper I have only used my own list and OPO.

There is a lot to be a delivery skipper. When you start out there will be a lot of boats that need a good deal of attention. You have to know about a lot of systems. You really have to be able to handle the boat -- it's the tough bits around docks you've never seen before where the owner or broker will be watching. Also crew talk and word spreads if you aren't up to snuff.

You have to have good supervisory skills - that includes prepping the crew before a docking evolution so that everyone understands you are in charge of when lines go ashore, not the dock hand.

You have to have good management skills - that means delegating tasks among the crew so that the boat is in good shape when you tie up and pristine when you step off.

You better have a great grip on weather and comms. How are you going to get weather at sea on a boat you haven't seen yet? What is in your go-kit? Will you know what to do with the information when you have it? (Plug: take one of Lee Chesneau's three or five day courses, then practice. Read the text books he refers you to.)

How are you going to select crew? Resumes are only good for so much and there are a lot of "paper captains" out there. People lie. People don't know what they don't know. References are only so helpful. How much can YOU figure out from talking to someone on the phone?

There's a lot of work planning, looking at weather, planning for provisions and getting them onboard ... the skipper earns his check before he sets foot on the boat.

What do you bring with you? Carry-on or check (did we talk about transportation? who do you think makes all that happen?)? Quick story - Swan 46 from Chesapeake to Tortola in February a few years ago. We got the boat ready and had a night aboard before leaving on the morning tide. Everyone knew what boat gear was aboard since I had distributed the list before hand. Big crew since lots of people wanted to go, there are lots of berths in those old racing Swans, and the owner was okay with paying for the extra food. We're sitting around talking about who brought what. Every single crew proudly brought out a handheld VHF and handheld GPS. Add in boat's equipment and I think we had eight VHF handhelds and a couple fixed, seven GPS handhelds and two fixed. Useful huh? Me? I brought a KA1103 shortwave with an external antenna for weather fax and a nice Kitchenaid stick blender for making soups. Guess what got used?

There are lots of people that hang out their shingle as a delivery skipper. Some are good at it and some are not. Which category do you want to be in? Find one of the people that treat it as a business (Jon Eisberg, Hank Schmitt, Blaine Parks, me (*grin*), and a number of others) and pay the bar tab and we'll clue you in on just how long it takes to starve to death in this game.

Beware cut and paste sailors

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:25 am 

desperate sailors is another one to watch for private deliveries.

All of my work is with commercial boats....it's a little different game, and a bit easier to get paid.