Cruising Outpost

Discussing The Cruising Lifestyle
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Milwaukee 2016 season
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:16 pm 

I have a Pearson 26 in Milwaukee (McKinley Marina). The kids have all moved away, got married, and have other interests. I'd like to find someone (or more) to join me on weekend day sails. I'm still learning, so would be nice if you have experience. Otherwise, we can muddle through. I haven't damaged any other boats, property, or people yet, but there have been a few close calls. :oops:

Last edited by FredZ on Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:51 am 

Isn't it a little cold up there this time of year? If the offer is still there in the summer, and I can get the time to make a road trip, I'll take you up on it!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:57 am 

roguewave1 wrote:
Isn't it a little cold up there this time of year? If the offer is still there in the summer, and I can get the time to make a road trip, I'll take you up on it!

Well, yes it is quite cold now. In Milwaukee, the season runs from May through October. Looking for locals, really. It wouldn't make much sense to come up from Florida for weekend sailing. It's also weather dependent - I'm not going out in storms or excessive winds.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:31 am 

FredZ were Chris to want to come to oHIo and go sailing with me I would consider myself very fortunate indeed. I hope the day day comes I get to learn from him in Flawduh.

My 2c

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:40 am 

Yep, if Chris wanted to visit the Rio Dulce I would welcome his help in shaking the wrinkles out of "Barnacle's" sails.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:49 pm 

Whyknot wrote:
Yep, if Chris wanted to visit the Rio Dulce I would welcome his help in shaking the wrinkles out of "Barnacle's" sails.

Thanks, You never know. The Rio would be a great spot to see. I heard prices were cheap to get work done on the boat in Columbia. I saw a Tayana 37 that was re-gel coated for $2000 in Columbia. I would like to get the hull and masts pained.

I'm still working on the bottom but getting anxious to be on the water again. Cuba is looking doable soon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:08 pm 

Chris, skilled labor is going for around US $26.00 per day here on the Rio Dulce. Material costs may be about the same as in the states, perhaps a little more; I am not sure. All marine services are available. As an example, one yard, Ram Marina, has a paint booth with 60 feet of overhead clearance. I wrote an article about the Rio which was published in “Cruising Outpost” issue # 4, Fall 2013. It is a little dated now but you might enjoy reading it.

Trish and I spent around three months in Cartagena, Colombia aboard “Barnacle” in 1998. Through visiting with other cruisers I concluded that cost and quality of marine services there were similar to those on the Rio. The Rio Dulce is a hell of a lot closer to the states.

Come on down. Stop in Cuba; Isla Mujeres, Mexico is great (and the peso has tanked); Belize has some nice spots but is sort of an expensive pain in the ass; and then you are 20 miles from Guatemala and the mouth of the Rio.

We know several US flagged boats and many more flying the Maple Leaf which have visited Cuba. We have heard no horror stories. We have not visited there. Most predicted, if and when Cuba “opened”, there would be a loud sucking sound in the Bahamas as the boats leaving for Cuba took all the wind. Better go now so you can say, “I was one of the first and can remember when…” Things there are going to change.

Or…maybe we should go to Milwaukee; drink beer until the weather kicks up, look up FredZ, and introduce him to the thrills of heavy-weather sailing.

FredZ, Welcome to “the Cruiser’s Forum”. I don’t mean to hijack your thread or attack you and I hope you find crew; but what is your problem? Maybe Chris was just being friendly, maybe he has never been in the area and is looking for a road trip, maybe he has family in the area, maybe a lot of things but I will guarantee you one of those things isn’t driving to Milwaukee from Florida for the sole purpose of sailing on a Pearson 26 (nothing against your boat and congratulations on wanting to sail) no matter what including storms or excessive weather.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:55 pm 

No worries about hijacking the thread, and I have no problem with any of you… yet. :mrgreen:
I’m 20 years older than the boat, and just started sailing two years ago, so Hell yeah, I’ll go with anyone who knows more than me. My biggest problems have been getting out of and back into the slip – definitely need more practice with that!
Anyone’s welcome, but I can’t always go out at the drop of a hat. I live 30 miles west of Chicago – the boat lives in Milwaukee, because I can’t afford Chicago fees, and driving to the lakefront on a summer weekend would take almost as long as driving to Milwaukee. So, call ahead - I’ll see what I can arrange.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:32 am 

Quote:
My biggest problems have been getting out of and back into the slip

Scares the hell out of me too! Add a bit of wind, current and hit reverse. Anything can happen!