Cruising Outpost

Discussing The Cruising Lifestyle
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:54 pm 

I have recent retired and I have taken ASA 101. I am looking to gain some sailing experience. I spoke with BOB on how to get sailing experience and he said to get on the forum and throw my hat in the ring.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:38 am 

It would help you to give particulars. Like what part of the world are you in. Are you looking for day sails? Available as crew? Time limits? Lots of folks here will help out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:58 am 

Davit,

Sorry about that. We live in Alamogordo, New Mexico, I know, not a lot of water here. We took our lessons in Seabrook, Texas. I have been looking into flotillas to gain some sailing experience also. Since we live in New Mexico, the Day sailing is pretty much out of the question, it take about 10 to 12 hours to drive to San Diego and parts of the Texas Gulf Coast. I am willing to do that that is someone is going sailing for at least a couple of days. I know beggars can't be choosers, but driving 20 to 30 hours roundtrip to sail a couple of hours would be difficult.

My time limits are pretty open. I can pick up in a few days notice and stay out for a week or two for the next three months only because I'm helping a friend build a house and I don't want to abandon him for over a couple of weeks at this point. Around the January time frame, I could be out for a month or so at a time.

I could and would love to help out as a crew member, but remember I need experience. My sailing skills are very limited but I am a quick learner and I am willing to work and learn.

Our (my wife and I) future goal is to liveaboard and sail the great loop to see the United States from the waterways. As we gain more experience and confidence, I want to branch out and sail the Bahamas and more.

Now about us, I am retired after 26 years in law enforcement and my wife is still working as an English teacher. Her schedule does not allow her to go out at a moments notice until the summer months. She has approved :), for me to go out and gain experience and see if sailing/liveaboard is what I want to do in the future. As I said before, I am helping a friend build a home so I would need a few days to a weeks notice to be courteous before I take off for a week or two. We are both honest and courteous people, we will occasionally drink socially, but it isn't that important to us. We have no drug or criminal issues that anyone would have to worry about and we both do not like drama issues so anyone can be assured that both of us are very even-keeled.

Thank you for your response Davit. I hope this will help out.

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:47 am 

Welcome aboard!

Bill it is tradition here for the new people to by a round in the virtual pub. ;)

I will have a (very :lol: ) small Image

Not being rude here but be aware of what you are asking. At this point you really have nothing to offer (been there done that :roll: ) in the way of crew skills and that is OK we all have been then there. May I suggest you consider a week at an active marina where you can let people size you up in person? And that goes both ways of course. You don't want to make plans to crew and then learn the Captain is a !@#$% You sound like good people and have the discipline to do as told which is highly valued when things go wrong - and it does :roll: :lol:

I wish you luck!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:54 pm 

Need crew for Kentucky Lake to Mobile (mostly motoring) then on to Key West and points beyond. Sent a PM, get back to me if interested.

David

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:18 pm 

I really wish I could!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:20 pm 

David, I will send you a PM tomorrow. I am up in the mountains and cell coverage on my phone is spotty.

Thanks, Bill