Cruiser Outpost - Lats & Atts forum

Discussing The Cruising Lifestyle
It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Off to Flee the Blizzard
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:50 am 

. . . and get away from the madness. Finally can go home to the Carib. Bailed on the purchase of the Jeanneau 40. Too many jumbies. Too much potential yard time for Mr. Picky. And two 40' sailboats is one too many for the two of us. Now I'm sniffin' a couple Dyer 29's deserving refit and repower, the latter of which will cost more than the boat itself.

Stay safe. 2:00 AM run to Beantown, jump Jet Blue for $175 each nonstop to STT. Done, down and dirty. Home again.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:16 am 

Great. Safe Travels. Photos of the boat?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:35 am 

snowbird wimp.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:39 am 

Need I remind you what FL looks like from 36,000 feet?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:54 am 

yep...the big swinging penis of the U.S.A.! :mrgreen: :o :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:36 am 

Hey Kev... how's going? The Christmas winds come a little early? How's the covid situation there?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:26 am 

It's nice to be home. But November it rains. And rains. Cistern is full, sunny, nice today. Surfing competition down in Hull Bay. I can just sit on the porch and watch the wipeouts with the longeyes.

Let's see . . . Covid: "Safer at home, wear a mask, 23 fatalities to date." Wide range of symptoms with people, from nothingness to death or continuing organ failures due to inflammations caused by the virus. Fuckin' Russian roulette. While I may never set foot in the BVI again unless it's just to go to JVD to see Ivan Chinnery, they aren't opening up. People with boats in yards over there - four figures to be allowed to come in, get your boat out of the yard and GIT. Someday the BVI will realize shitting on everyone else in the world, lying about vessel locations when they're busted for fishing, and holding people hostage for money hurt them. Hopefully.

St. Croix just had a minor outbreak from a cargo vessel and a private yacht. They quarantined both vessels.

This guy's my age. Totally unexpected, terrible. I didn't know him personally, but had peripheral dealings: https://vifreepress.com/2020/11/greg-ha ... ry-notice/

Fucknay. So we're here for the duration. A little boring, but the beach at Hull Bay helps, work is busy and thinking on doing some writing. There's also that banjo and mandolin over in the corner that I set down over a year ago. Had some lightning in the fingers 3 years ago. I'm sure it'd drive the neighbors berserk if I try to get it back. But I've had it out a couple times. Working up a playlist, The Weight, Wagon Wheel, etc.

Bailed on the purchase of a 40' Jeanneau. 2 months in the yard wasn't on my agenda. Still have to sail the Tartan 37 down in May-June. Don't need 3 boats, and Papa is GOING to get a Dyer 29 down here from Maine at the first opportunity. Either with a 4LH 240 or a QSB or 6BTA 300 or so. Must . . . kill . . . fish.

The attitude toward Covid is a little more stringent here than in Maine. Sure, there's some deniers, but for the most part you don't get into Home Depot and walk around without respecting the other customers. And they'll let you know. 6' distance, mask. Carigas is open, staff is wearing, distancing, etc. Boatyard is starting to empty out. Outside dining is kind of open. This is a tourism destination. Covid is killing it. But nobody wants to die in their own bloody snot.

I just threw the longeyes on White Bay. Looks dead. Yup. This confirms it (Soggy Dollar Bar webcam): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXWVYoBluT4 Can't see around to Great Harbor. Supposedly BVI opens 12/1, BUT, you must have offshore medical insurance, 5 day previous negative test, test again upon arrival, quarantine 4 days, test again (at $250/test), submit to phone tracking, etc., etc. A moving target, no doubt, with rules that change daily. Doesn't matter to anyone on this side. They have a fleet of go-fasts between here and there ready to snatch you up and take you for a vacation to HMS Prison up on the mountain, no questions asked. But you'll never see the view, and the accommodations are truly medieval - stripped naked and a cell not tall enough to stand in. Great stuff.

There's a NJ commercial fisherman enjoyed their hospitality for a good four months. Note that they had him for NOTHING. But he pleaded just to pay and get out. Same thing has been going on for decades over there. Beware. https://www.nationalfisherman.com/natio ... in-islands

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:30 am 

good update... rather be "stuck" there than down east suppose. Sorry about your friend in STX looked like a good guy.
BVI situation looks grave.. I know they suck at GPS border lines but who can argue with a full auto pointed at you? Especially if your a white Yankee... I know some Marlin tourney fisherman who have came close to donating their sportfish to her majesty's government and that was back in 80-90's. I imagine that The Moorings are hurting bad... along with all the other spots.. but Branson is there to bail them out?? Maybe he should buy the whole fucking chain from Lizzy girl.
BTW..what side of Hull Bay are you?
Stay safe goombah!