Cruising Outpost

Discussing The Cruising Lifestyle
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:17 pm 

Just to be clear, I am not in this vid. Thought it would be interesting to post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... u91pXfhCnA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:15 am 

That's cool. I've been looking at inflatable SUPs as an alternative for below deck storage. My mind keeps racing back to the great whites I've seen between Shelter Cove and Trinidad over the years, though, and how much any surfboard looks like a giant bass plug from below. An unreasonable concern, I know, but it won't go away. Probably the tigers and bulls in the Caribbean are worse than whites, but still.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:40 am 

The inflatables are nice for convenience and are really comfortable BUT the trade off is speed and maneuvering.I have one that comes in a backpack with pump and paddle.
My personal board floats 400# so I can carry a cooler,cigars and fishing gear.Its considered a yoga board so the whole deck is covered in rubber.Its a big long board and surfs on very small waves but if you are going to tour long distance you want the style board in the video.
The point bow cuts through the chop and cuts down on rider fatigue.Put a beginner on that board and they will be out front of the pack.They dont surf as good as the traditional board shapes.Every board has a use.

Attachments:
myboard.jpeg
myboard.jpeg [ 990.79 KiB | Viewed 182 times ]
differentboards.jpeg
differentboards.jpeg [ 1.15 MiB | Viewed 182 times ]
paddleboardgrandma.jpg
paddleboardgrandma.jpg [ 1.15 MiB | Viewed 182 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:58 am 

Maineiac wrote:
That's cool. I've been looking at inflatable SUPs as an alternative for below deck storage. My mind keeps racing back to the great whites I've seen between Shelter Cove and Trinidad over the years, though, and how much any surfboard looks like a giant bass plug from below. An unreasonable concern, I know, but it won't go away. Probably the tigers and bulls in the Caribbean are worse than whites, but still.

For years I surfed the east coast of florida.Winter and spring is surf time.Its also when the bait schools run south being chomped by Tarpon,Bluefish,Jack,Cudas and literally hundred of blacktips and assorted other sharks.
I only saw on guy get nipped at Sebastian Inlet.I have been bumped a few times.Keep in mind we were surfing in schools of baitfish with murky water.The second bump was at night surfing Juno beach again during the bait run.
Paddleboarding you are not dangling in the water looking like a turtle(Tiger sharks love them)and you are up to see what is coming up to your board.
If you fish off the board in southern waters you are ring the dinner bell for sharks.I spearfish around sharks with and have only had a few instances where the shark(bullshark)came after me and not the fish.If you are on the water they are all around you.You just dont see them. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:14 am 

https://youtu.be/D1YTzan2lO0

Been looking at a new Hobie Tandem Island to play with.You can sail,paddle or peddle.Some have put 2-3 hp outboards for backup.I could carry a few SUPs to just hang out on the water or go fishing.

https://youtu.be/Ox-DxjISnJw

Its not as comfortable as my 28 Morgan but its really simple to rig and stepping the mast is easy because its carbon fiber.A kid could rig in 10 minutes and go! 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:38 am 

freedive wrote:
The inflatables are nice for convenience and are really comfortable BUT the trade off is speed and maneuvering

Inflatable have really come up in quality. I've demoed some from Naish, Starboard, Red Paddle and they are ridiculously good. Price of-course factors in. The high end are not cheap but may save money in the long run.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:19 am 

surf4food wrote:
freedive wrote:
The inflatables are nice for convenience and are really comfortable BUT the trade off is speed and maneuvering

Inflatable have really come up in quality. I've demoed some from Naish, Starboard, Red Paddle and they are ridiculously good. Price of-course factors in. The high end are not cheap but may save money in the long run.

Buy the best you can afford and cry once.I take people out and let them try different boards before they spend their money.I sold my mechanic a yoga board for his daughter with a carbon fiber adjustable paddle.Now the whole family wants one.The cheaper boards and paddles do not handle extended use very well.They also dont carry as much weight or paddle as well.
My youngest son has a board with three fins.It turns on a dime.Not so big a deal on the lake but in floriduh if the surf is up a LITTLE you can rip some waves.
To hang out on the lake everyone loves the inflatable.It has a lot of foam on top to lounge on and its not hard if the kids get a little rough playing.Lots of anchor spots for gear too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:33 am 

We have an inflatable, fun and portable for beach use. Great for the youngest son, friends, etc.

If I were to get serious about SUP, a rigid 'professional' board would be in the works.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:22 pm 

A hard board would definitely be a better choice for surfing or racing and any kind of serious dowwind action. For taking on the boat or for apartment dwellers like me, inflatable is pretty much the only option. Plus as mentioned before, the are great for traveling.