Cruising Outpost

Discussing The Cruising Lifestyle
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:57 pm 

Come to think of it this has to be the 20th or darn close !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:39 am 

Wasting away again in Cincinnasty...
Where in hell I lost my boat,
Some people claim that there's a woman to blame,
Now I think, - hell it could be my fault.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:05 pm 

Drive over to Kentucky and get on a goddamn plane. We're moving back slowly. Even got the house we rented and lived in for almost 15 years back. 180 degree Northside view. The hell with it. Never put off what you can do today . . . never do tod . . . fuck, just do it. These guys do the "share the sail" thing, which is great, but we did the "weekend winnebago" thing for almost 15 years between Cowpet Bay and Anegada and all points in between. Year 'round. Next year I take the Tartan 37 down. Nana talked me out . . . well, sort of, of a 29' Lobster boat to ship down. Couldn't afford it at the moment, that's all. Hopefully a Dyer 29 or a Wasque 32 will make it down there for quicker "weekending" the 40 miles to Anegada and likewise to Esperanza. Hopefully the Dyer won't sell before I'm ready. I know I can rebuild a 453 screamer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:19 am 

Kevin I won't bore you with the details but wife and her granddaughter aren't going anywhere so I'm well and truly stuck here and if there is another way I'm apparently not smart enough to see it..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:34 am 

Yeah, I have both of those and then some. Another grandchild got added after we moved to Maine. Separation anxiety is a monster, and I admit to some twinges myself. So what we did was set up business in Maine and business in the V.I. Both make a couple bucks, and going back down is deductible, particularly given I have to have my Administrative Assistant with me when I go. We'll be work work work for 3-4 weeks, back to Maine for about 3 weeks, back to the V.I. work work work, back to Maine for trout season opener. And hit dolphin season in the V.I. in between. Ain't getting rich, will die broke, but WTF.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:44 pm 

Not to whine but 88 yr mom is in hospital with broken hip surgery and to rehab soon.
She is stubborn as a concrete fence post but maybe now she will move to assisted living and leave her 3 story house.

Dad died while I was on the boat. He was Quartermaster USNR and I'd promised him a sail - a promise I'll never fulfill. Do I want to be away from mom at this point in her life?

Vickie's mom is in the hospital with (wait for it) fractured pelvis and extensive rehab ahead. At least she recently left her 3 story house for a one floor. I care for her three 4 leggers every morning and I don't even like the woman. I do it for Vickie.

Would consider boat-schooling granddaughter but court order says we can't remove her from the area. Sure as hell couldn't leave her with her sociopath mother.

I made excellent money working on yachts in STX and SXM but 9 yrs later I can no longer even think about crawling around in the holes they cram the HVAC/R.

I have my fotos and memories of a dozen islands and that's nice. Hell how many people ever get to sail and live on their own yacht down island? Sometimes during the death grey winter ohio skies are a bit much. This too shall pass and so will I eventually. As you say WTF?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:46 pm 

Hey guys! I feel your pain. My Mom will be 92 in May but has been basically wheelchair bound for several years. Fortunately my sister and I convinced her to sell the house she & my Dad built in the north Georgia mountains last year. She's been living with my sister for a couple of years now. Of course "living" is a relative term - quality of life for her really sux.
On Thursday my wife is getting a hip replacement... and shes only 54. Growing old can really bite even before you get that old!
Come the end of June I'm planning to jump on the SSA bandwagon and tell work so long. To much sailing and biking to do while I still can!

s/v KAYLA Cape Dory 28 #318
2008 FXD Dyna Superglide