Cruising Outpost

Discussing The Cruising Lifestyle
It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Francis Mercury
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:13 am 

Happy New Year and fuck you Merc. Back to water world in a couple weeks. Friggin' cold in the boat shed up here. Got all the portlights out yesterday on the Tartan 37, eight Newfound stainless going in. Got the below deck autopilot out of the way and the rudder dropped for some stainless work too. The kid and I still know what we're doing and do it in 1/3 the time of yard monkeys.

Looking at a Dyer 29 up here and a Wasque 32 down in FL. I'm leaning toward the 29. Because its here. Need a stinkpot/fishing/winnebago for times when driving 8 miles to Ivan's over the course of 1.25 hours just ain't worth it. Day tripping.

Post subject: Re: Francis Mercury
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:48 am 

Well hot damn... someone's alive on this board!! I thought it was D.O.A..... In the meantime Sir Kevin Barrister extraordinaire...
Saw that Down East is freezing as usual.. getting ready for another blow in the next day or two,, got the snowplow on the tractor? You do need an Island fix fer sure aaaayyyyup!
Must be fun working on the blo-bote in a cold barn... wouldn't you rather be boogieing down Drake's Passage in a nice powerbote (I refuse to call a stinker) or just on the border looking for a nice Marlin or some dolphin dinner?
It's been too long since my last Island fix but the sitch just isn't right for us now unless you start a go fund me thing for me... We still haven't recovered from the recession despite Trump's YOUUUUUUUG tax cut "deal".. but let's not go down that road...it's bumpier than a back Maine road during pothole season...
So what's the deal?? Working on the Tartan and looking a Dyer too? One to keep, the other on speculation?? Come to Floriduhhh eyeball the Wasque (they are weird fish anyhow), where is it? On another note, Indiantown Marina is auctioning off a bunch of botes for storage, there is a few interesting blo-botes on the block...
Your turn.. Peace out...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:48 am 

The Wasque is in Cortez. It's on Yworld, hull is great below the waterline, all the parts are there, needs to be assembled and the 5BTA installed. Nothing for this crafty motherfucker. Besides, why would anyone want a fishing boat on the Red Tide Coast? Price is right, and could be lower.

The T37 is getting done up in a way such that if I get a twitch on the way south and decide to take a left, she'll do it.

The Dyer is basically a spartan lobster boat, but used for pleasure. Not a lobster yacht by any means, but easily customized for killing wahoo, dolphin and tuna. I'd truck it to the Fort, ship it down from there. Has a Detroit 453 in it, sufficient. It's on the Maine Craigslist under boats.

Yeah. Bumpy road. I worry more about the grandkids than anything and absolutely ignore the TV. People gone all stupid in all directions. We're moving back to the V.I. over the next year. Currently getting there pretty much every month, just need to get the old rental house back, which MAY happen. Best spot on the Island. Ask Cliffie. Screw this mess.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:09 am 

Dyer's are pretty boats, well built, the 4-53 is a fuel sipper for sure and bulletproof... I was partial to Beal's back in my lobbie days but kinda pricey along with the BHM's, so I settled on a 34' Jonesport, loved those pointy ends and they were fast with a Chevy 6 in them...
Weren't you up off Hull Bay Rd.? Excellent spot, Tommy lives up there or used to.. I guess the politics on StT are still the same.. just not as goofy as here...well, maybe not..
Bundle up for the blow coming over the week end! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:56 am 

Wherefore art thou Kevin? Awfully cold down East....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:52 am 

You ain't seen friggin' cold yet. We're headed toward 17 below. It's the wind that kills ya, though. Just workin', cipherin', doin' my gazintas and headed back down in a couple of weeks.

Nana locked in the old house on St. Thomas, or should I say our "office building." Landlord is doing a few more things after total renovation, roof, bathroom, tile, appliances, generator, and after moving out 9 years ago this coming August, we got her back. Rent starts March 1. 180 degree north view from the roofed front porch, lawns, boat parking out front. Hot damn. Now need to scramble to get some wheels down there. And get the sailboat and a single diesel Dyer, Wasque or whatever down there. Dolphin season soon come. The Dyer is still up in the air. Love to have it, but after moving back up here for family and living in poverty for 7 years, ain't got the immediate scratch. But I couldn't afford the Tartan 37, either, and I got that.