Cruising Outpost

Discussing The Cruising Lifestyle
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:53 pm 

I think I read in the print Outpost recently (within six months) that some bareboat European charter companies are now requiring a European certification, and that the ASA 101-104 is not accepted at those places. I am away from my copy so I can't look it up in the magazine, and I don't know ifvthe problem has been resolved. As I recall, ASA was working on this.

I gave someone interested in chartering there, and wanted to pass on the correct information. Dies anyone know the situation?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:41 am 

don't know if this helps any https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... Competence

Quote:
Application of the ICC

Resolution 40 not only included operators of pleasure craft bound for or on the inland and coastal waters of foreign states but specifically included bareboat charter vessels. Significantly, it also set out the nautical, regulatory and technical competency requirements to be achieved and a minimum age (16 years of age) for the issue of an ICC irrespective of individual national schemes.

Quote:
Implementation of Resolution 40

The following UNECE member states have adopted Resolution 40 and thus officially accept the ICC as a proof of competence in their territories:[1]

Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Romania, Slovakia, South Africa (not a member state), Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:47 am 

https://asa.com/international-proficiency-certificate/

Quote:
Is an IPC required for chartering? If so, where?

ASA strongly recommends you apply for an International Proficiency Certificate if you are chartering in the Mediterranean as well as the inland waterways of Europe and northern Europe. Most charter companies accept this certificate as adequate proof of bareboat skipper proficiency including Kiriakoulis Charters which has 300+ locations in the Mediterranean. As countries differ in their requirements, travelers should always check with their destination prior to attempting to charter.
Who can get an International Proficiency Certificate?

Only ASA members who have completed through ASA 104, Bareboat Cruising, are eligible to order the International Proficiency Certificate. One must be a current member of ASA to be issued the certificate.
How do I get an IPC?

The certifications ASA 101, 103 and 104 are obtained though your local ASA School. You can get the International Proficiency Certificate today by completing our online